The Gagging Bill: a clever move

Do we want a country where any organisation can throw millions into election campaigns? Of course not, and it is for this very reason that the Labour Party introduced strict limits on 3rd party spending in the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.

Don’t let the Tories suck you in. What they are trying to achieve, quickly and in time for their General Election campaign, is an attack on free speech. They know they are on borrowed time and if they can stop Charities and Trade Unions speaking out about the devastating affects of their policies, they will. This is about votes. This is about power.

So what about the scandals that prompted this debate? Well actually, they’re pretty irrelevant. David Cameron has carefully crafted a bill that would leave the likes of tobacco lobbyist Lynton Crosby well alone. In simple terms, Lynton Crosby would still be free to advise the Prime Minister on tobacco policy, but Cancer Research UK would be stopped from campaigning about it.

A pretty clever move by David Cameron.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Conservative, Government, Labour, Lobbying, Trade Union. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Gagging Bill: a clever move

1. Stephen Parry says:

Succinct, to the point and very true. Needs fighting. Well-written, thanks. x

2. David Bowen says:

Cameron may be a moron but he’s no fool! He knows this is his only hope, and that’s a very slim one!

3. dewilennard says:

Good luck with your blog. You’re an idealist – not a bad thing to be, but to put your faith in one of the political parties which has simply led the people of Britain round and round in circles for decades means, to me, that you’re an idealist in a cul de sac.

4. Lawrence McIlhoney says:

Every time you write, I want to wave a flag of some sort. Keep it up!

5. Joe K says:

I’m not as pessimistic as you about this, Kate, but then, I’m someone who exercises his right to free speech, in every sense of the word, at every opportunity, and supporters of, say, Cancer Research UK, can do likewise, and make a lot more noise, I dare say, than Lynton Crosby.

6. trollhunterx says:

Not sure that worked, so… (got a lot farther than with Richard Graham’s blog, at any rate)

7. Enjoyed reading this and look forward to more

8. Les Morgan says:

Good bloging (is that a word?!) start, Kate, I e-mail my mp re: gagingbill unfortunately for me mp is John Bercow, He did however sent me nice/supportive letter telling me he woud raise it the minster for political & constitutional reform, Choe Smith, Whether that will helpful we must wait & see.

9. Nice post! I emailed my MP and got a slightly sarcastic response and assurances it will not stop charities campaigning! I don’t agree and think it will, it is about the tories protecting votes, just as you have said in your post.